There is something refreshing about Thanksgiving, it’s one of those rare holidays that focuses on family, friends, and all for which we are thankful. There are no presents or distractions; the center of attention is the time spent with loved-ones. The only thing one can expect from Thanksgiving is great food and even better people. We are going to have a small one of our own with some friends.
Here are a few tips to make your thanksgiving a little healthier:
- Replace butter with olive oil, if its in something sweet, bananas and applesauce (non sweetened) can work as well
- Do not add cream, almost anything made with cream can be made without!
- Remember to make healthy foods, that way if you end up eating too much you won’t feel bad
- Make light appetizers
- Remember to eat vegetables! Don’t drown them in butter, olive oil is great and much healthier
- I find that most desserts contain too much sugar, you can usually reduce the sugar in recipes
- Drink green tea! If you want to help digestion have green tea with lemon juice and ginger
- Make sure to eat breakfast (quakers or granola with some soy milk or non-fat milk, green tea and an apple)
- Take a digestive walk with the whole crew (an hour long walk is perfect!)
- Go for a run the next day
- If you end up overeating don’t stress about it! It’s Thanksgiving! You’ll catch up on health the next day/week. Although, the best route to take is to make delicious healthy food so you can overeat without the guilt
The picture above is Yohann’s first attempt to make “biroche” which is a bit like Portuguese sweet bread. It was made without eggs or butter. Yohann will be making another one soon with step-by-step pictures!
What do you plan on eating for Thanksgiving? We hope you all have a great thanksgiving!